Monday, September 10, 2012

Sticks and Stones

Today we had a little object lesson about words. I thought I would share. One of the reasons many parents choose to pull their children out of school and home school them is bullying. Unfortunately, we live in a fallen world and kids can, indeed, be cruel. One of the things we love so much about home schooling is that our oldest child is no longer experiencing that on a daily basis for being short, young or smart. I hate to hear about a child I love going through difficult times because of the opinion of others in regards to their hair, skin, clothing, weight, etc. I hate to hear children make fun of each other.
 
Recently, I discovered an amazing resource for my budding tween (yes, as much as I hate it, statistically, she IS a tween and is beginning to exhibit many typical "tween" traits). A friend told us about an event called Secret Keeper Girl, LIVE! and they went last year. We are planning on going this fall. I highly encourage any mom of girls ages 9-12 to check it out. www.secretkeepergirl.com
 
We read Dannah Gresh's book, "How to Keep the Little in Your Girl" as well. (Pick up your own copy here, http://purefreedom.org/bookSixWays.htm) Dannah's book is about teaching young girls self esteem in Jesus. She focuses on three things: purity, modesty, and a healthy body image. After all, we ARE all made in the image and likeness of our Holy Father and when we hate our bodies, what does that say for our image of HIM? Anyway, it was part of what spurred us on in our decision to homeschool. If you have boys, check out her book, "How to Keep the Good in Your Boy" because it is an excellent resource as well. (http://purefreedom.org/bookSixWaysBoys.htm)
 
Anyway, I digress. Our object lesson. Last night after a little disagreement our middle child quoted, "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." I stopped her. I explained to her that words could hurt more than sticks and stones ever did. I explained (as best I could) that while bruises and bones heal, a deep down hurt that came from evil speaking could do more long term damage than any stick ever could. She seemed to get it, but then again, she's only six (almost) so I wasn't sure.
 
 
 So this morning we took a paper plate and turned it upside down (the other side has Easter eggs on it and wouldn't show as well, hey, we're frugal.). Then I gave Kadoodle a small tube of toothpaste and told her to squeeze it onto the plate.
 
 
Then I gave it to Boo and told her to do the same. Then I took a crack at it.
 
 
Then after we had all squeezed, I looked at them and told them to put the toothpaste back into the tube. They giggled. I didn't. Then they realized I wasn't kidding. Kadoodle gave it a try and really thought she could do it. She succeeded in smearing the toothpaste all over the plate. "Ack!" I said. "Now it's even worse!" Again, more giggling. Then I looked at them both and explained that when we speak ugly to others, it's like squeezing the tube of toothpaste. The words come out, but they can't go back in and when we try, the mess just gets bigger. Then we sat down and discussed what Jesus wants us to do with our words. Not only was it a good lesson for them, but for me as well. I am preparing to begin an endeavor that will challenge me on many levels and each challenge will bring a choice as to how I respond with my words. My theme verse is as follows.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment