Friday, August 10, 2012

Day Four -- New Crayons and the Library

A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook a story of school supplies. While gathering school supplies for her children this year, she came upon a small box full of crayons she had purchased last year while they were $0.25 a box. She opened the box and said, "Mmmm. Don't you love that smell?" Her kids (who are teenagers, except one) looked at her like she was crazy, but I believe she has a point. I love the smell of a fresh box of crayons. So, finally, today, my girls got their first box of fresh crayons. I have to admit something. I am somewhat of a school supply junkie. We have tax free weekend the first weekend of August here and I love to go and stock up on school supplies. It was considerably less expensive this year. I spent less than $80 on both girls for school supplies and didn't have to pay additional school supply fees at school (another $130 for two girls). While I did spend that and a little more on textbooks for the year, I will at least be able to reuse most of them in the future, so I consider that a little more of an investment.

In light of those great colors, I wanted to share a few more bits I found on www.technologyrocksseriously.com



Since I was talking about crayons, I thought this was completely appropriate. I love bright colors. I love them in my classroom. I am off on Friday after school to pick up some color ink for my printer because some of these signs seriously need to be in my room. Here's another one I love. And if you love them too, just head on over to her site and print them. They are free, she just asks that you remember to give her credit for them. She does great work and will most likely do a custom for you if you ask. I am thinking of asking her to play with my sign from my room...
"Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.
Correct grammar...it could save a life."

This is one of my favorite sayings and I use it all the time with my Kadoodle because she has a tendency to give up when she doesn't get something right the first time.


Great words of wisdom that every teacher, whether homeschooling or brick and mortar, should remind their students every now and then. (something about that sentence is grammatically horrific, but I can't quite put my finger on the fix.)

So, I have crayon rolls that my girls use in our classroom. They are available at my site if you can't make your own, www.facebook.com/OneDivaThreeDolls and eventually there will be a tutorial on my other blog, www.divamommydiaries.blogspot.com so if you are interested, you can check them out. Today they got their fresh crayons. The joy in our room was palpable (okay not really, but they were happy).





Kylie is working on a little back to school math fun. I scanned the worksheet she is using and I am adding the jpeg below. If you right click it, you should be able to use it as well if you like.


The idea is to color the trees and add the amount of apples listed below to each tree. With a little photoshop creativity, you could change the numbers and create new worksheets too.

Oh, and the title of my blog for this day is "New Crayons and the Library" because we decided to hit the library as part of our day today. Our public library isn't free anymore, but our church has a very large library so we decided to head there. The girls enjoyed getting books and I enjoyed being reminded of what is available there. We don't have a lot of Dr. Seuss books in our house because our book buyer (who is not me) doesn't buy them so I was very happy to find a large selection at the library. While we were there our former pastor who is also the father of our current pastor stopped into the library. All of the girls' ears perked up and I said, "Hey, I hear Brother Bob out there." To which my youngest replied, "Brother Bob! I haven't seen him in weeks! I need to go say hi!" And so, much to his delighted surprise, they did. I am so grateful for godly men and women in our church family that always have time for a smile and a hug for three little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment